Saturday, May 26, 2012
Singapore - Sweet Eggplant Stew (Semur Terong)
Sweet Eggplant Stew
- 1 lb. eggplant
- 4 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. shallots
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbs. sweet soy sauce
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Cut the unpeeled eggplant into ½-inch-thick slices, and then cut the slices in half.
- Fry lightly in 2 Tbs. of oil for 2 minutes, or until light brown and softened.
- Set aside.
- Stir fry the shallots and garlic in the remaining oil until light brown.
- Add the water, sweet aoy sauce, pepper, nutmeg, vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Let all of these ingredients cook for approximately 3 minutes to prepare the sauce.
- Cook the eggplant slices in the sauce for additional 2 minutes to distribute the flavors.
- Shake the pan several times to mix but not mash the eggplant.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Makes 4 servings.