Saturday, May 26, 2012
Singapore - Stir Fried Carrots (Oseng-Oseng Wortel)
Stir Fried Carrots
Yield: 2 servings
- 250 g (8 oz) carrots
- 4 Shallots
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1/2 Green or red chilli or
- 1 pn Of chilli powder
- 4 tb Good stock or 1 ts Dark soya sauce and 4 tb -water
- 2 tb Vegetable oil
These are carrots, cut into matchsticks and cooked in a little oil or butter. The word wortel doesn't sound Malay, and isn't. It is borrowed from the Dutch name for the carrot, since it was the Dutch who introduced this vegetable to Malaysia.
- Peel, wash, and cut the carrots into small sticks.
- Slice the shallots and chilli.
- Crush the garlic. In a wok, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or clarified butter.
- Saute the slice shallots and chilli for 1 minute, then add the garlic and the carrots.
- Stir continuously for a minute or so and then put in the stock, or soya sauce and water.
- Cover and continue to cook for 4 minutes.
- Uncover, taste, and add salt if necessary.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring all the time. Serve hot.
Makes 2 servings.