Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Singapore - Steamed Cassava Cuts (Sentiling)
Steamed Cassava Cuts
- 500gm cassava (tapioca), peeled and grated
- 150gm granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 medium coconut, grated and steamed with 1/4 tsp salt and 5 pandan leaves, shredded and tied into knots food dye, according to preference
- Mix grated tapioca, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Divide dough into 3 parts, each to be given a different colour.
- Line the base of the steamer basket with grease-proof paper or banana leaves.
- Pour in dough of one colour and level it according to the shape of the steamer basket.
- Pile on the other doughs in alternating colours.
- Alternatively, you can steam each colour separately if you prefer the titbit to be of one colour only.
- Steam for about 45 minutes until done, remove, cool and cut into pieces.
- Roll the Sentiling in steamed, grated coconut before serving.