Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Singapore - Soon Kueh
- 200g dried shrimps, soaked
- 50g dried mushrooms, soaked and sliced
- 200g chicken or port fillet, sliced into strips
- 500g chives, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 900ml water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 500g rice flour
- 100ml oil
- 250g tapioca flour
- Cook the filling and set aside.
- Boil the water in a pot and then stir in the salt, rice flour and oil.
- Mix thoroughly till the mixture thickens.
- Allow to cool before removing from t he pot.
- Knead into a dough with tapioca flour.
- Divide into the same number of portions as the filling.
- Shape into a ball
- To make the soon kueh, wrap 1 ball of filling with the dough.
- Press the edges together to seal then twist patterns along the edges.
- Steam on a greased tray lined with banana leaf for 12 minutes.
- Remove and brush with oil.