Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Singapore - Onde Onde
- 1 cylindrical piece of Gula Melaka
- 1/2 grated fresh coconut (desiccated will do, too)
- pinch of salt
- 180g sweet potatoes
- 240g glutinous rice flour
- 1 TBSP pandan juice (by pounding 4 leaves)
- *Optional*: a few drops of green pandan colouring
- 165ml water (more, if needed)
- Cut Gula Melaka into small pieces, or grate (it will melt easier).
- Mix grated coconut with pinch of salt and steam for 5 minutes.
- Put aside.
- Steam the sweet potatoes until soft. While *hot*, peel and mash with a wooden spoon in a large bowl.
- Add glutinous rice flour, pandan juice, (colouring), and pinch of salt. Knead together.
- Add water a little at a time, kneading well until the dough is smooth.
- Divide dough into equal portions of about 1tsp each.
- Roll each into a ball. Flatten each ball lightly, and put a bit of Gula Melaka inside.
- Close up the edges and shape into a ball.
- Drop a few balls at a time into boiling water.
- When they float, lift out and roll in the grated coconut.