Saturday, May 26, 2012
Singapore - Duck Soup With Preserved Mustard (Kiam Chye Aar)
Duck Soup With Preserved Mustard
(Kiam Chye Aar)
Popular among the Hokkiens and Teochews in Singapore, Malacca and Penang.
This soup is home cooked food at its best, easy to prepare and rarely available in restaurants.
- Kiam Chye (Preserved Mustard) - sliced and soaked
- kao ki(wolf berries or kee chi in Cantonese)
- preserved lemon
- preserved plum
- preserved shallots
- palm sugar
- Put all ingredients in a big pot, bring to boil and cook over low heat for at least 3 hours.
- Add msg, palm sugar and tomatoes.
- Turn off fire and let stand for at least 24 hours.
- Remove bones from duck, extra fat, lemon, plum and shallots.
- Reheat before serving.