Saturday, May 26, 2012
Singapore - Crispy Fried Tempe (Keripik Tempe)
Crispy Fried Tempe
- 600 gram tempe (fermented soybean cake) - not tofu
- 200 ml water
- ½ tsp. slaked lime water
- 100 gr. rice flour mixed with 25 gram cornstarch
- vegetable oil
- Spice Paste Ingredients:
- 4 candlenuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 cm fresh kencur
- Slice the tempe in thin 3½ x 5 cm squares.
- Set aside.
- Mix the spice-paste together with the water and slaked lime water.
- Add the rice flour and cornstarch and blend till smooth.
- Heat the oil in a wok, dip the tempe in the batter and deep-fry until it is golden brown and crisp.
Note: Make sure that the oil is not to hot, otherwise the batter and the tempe will not be done at the same time.
Makes 5-6 servings.