Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Singapore - Coconut Cendol Kueh
Coconut Cendol Kueh
(A) Cendol Layer:
- 750 ml general santan
- 160g sugar
- 1 1/4 tbsp agar-agar powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
(B):150 ml pati santan
(C):100g cendol, drain well in a colander
(D) Gula Melaka Layer:
- 100 ml water
- 75g gula melaka, chopped finely
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- (E):200ml general santan
- 1 tbsp agar-agar powder
- Mix (A) together and bring to a boil. Lower heat and add in (B).
- Allow to simmer slowly. When bubbles appear turn off the fire. Leave to cool slightly.
- Add in (C) and stir well.
- Pour into a tray and use a spatula to stir well to allow cendol to be evenly distributed.
- Leave to set.
- To make the gula melaka layer, bring ingredients (D) to a boil to dissolve the sugars.
- Strain off impurities.
- Mix (E) into the gula melaka syrup mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add in santan.
- Cool slightly, then pour over cendol layer.
- Leave to set then chill well in the refrigerator.
- Cut into squares and serve.