Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Hokkien Peanut pancake (Ban Jian Kway)
Hokkien Peanut pancake
(Ban Jian Kway)
This is a economical breakfast favourite seldom made at home these days. I have friends who ate this so often that they grew tired of it!
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 egg
- some sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 350ml water(I like it with milk, i'm sure the hawker didn't use it)
- freshly ground roasted peanuts without skin. (just roast the peanuts in a wok, stir constantly without oil) sugar
- sesame (optional) - wash and dry roast sesame in wok till fragrant, lightly crushed to release the fragrance.
- Beat egg, add butter, sugar, salt and water/milk.
- Add flour and mix to form a smooth batter.
- Leave for several hours.
- Heat non stick pan, oiled lightly with butter if necessary, pour batter onto the pan, cover and cook till done(a nice brown underneath) on slow/medium heat.
- Remove from pan, throw some peanut/sesame and sugar over, fold into half, cut and serve immediately.